Hearing Board Format
The general format for a University Hearing Board is indicated below. Please note that the format may change depending upon circumstances indicated during the hearing. It is at the discretion of the Chairperson, in consultation with the Administrator, to alter the format.
- Opening statement by the Chairperson.
- Introduction of members of the Board and the principals in the case.
- Reading of statement of charges.
- Outline for the format of the hearing.
- Presentation by the investigator and/or accuser including witnesses.
- Questioning of witnesses by accused.*
- Presentation by the accused including witnesses.
- Questioning by the investigator or accuser.
- Questions by the Board. **
- Closing statement by the investigator or accuser.
- Closing statement by the accused.
- Hearing Board goes into closed session. ***
* Presentations and questions are to be made by the accused. The role of the accused’s advisor is limited to advising. The advisor will not be permitted an active role in the proceedings.
** Board members have the right to question at any time during presentations by either side.
*** During the closed session, no witnesses for either side will be presented. If necessary, the hearings will be reopened.
NOTE: A student may appeal a University Hearing Board outcome to the University Appeal Board.
In considering an appeal, the University Appeal Board shall consider only the following issues:
- Whether the original board's process was conducted fairly and in accordance with prescribed procedures.
- Whether there is new evidence or relevant information not available at the time of the original hearing that, if consequential, shall result in a remanding of the case to the original board.
- Whether the original decision is supported by substantial evidence.
- Whether the University regulations alleged to have been violated were properly interpreted or applied by the original board.
- Whether the sanction imposed was proportionate to the gravity of the misconduct.
University Rules and Procedures – University Appeal Board